I’ve struggled with insomnia for years due to a combination of an over-active brain, chronic pain, anxiety, and not enough physical activity (for various reasons). A lack of sleep is the starting point numerous problems:
- Inability to focus
- Mood swings / Depression
- Increased cortisol levels
Clearly, this is not a way to live. Back when my contract with GameTruck, LLC ended in July, I was determined to get on a good sleep schedule so that I could take control of my insomnia.
My plan was to put my self on a Sleep Diet- a bedtime routine- that would prepare my brain and body for sleep. And it would be something that I practiced consistently so that it became second nature.
The truth is that I fumbled often. When your body and mind get used to a routine, rewiring is a tedious struggle. But I knew that to be a good mom, wife, and friend, I need to take care of myself.
My routine is the following
- No electronics. At least two hours before bed (although it’s should be more).
- Read – something light but interesting.
- Drink something soothing (most nights tea but sometimes, I need a beer).
- Drink 1 full class of water.
- Take Amitriptyline for pain and anxiety
- Bed by midnight.
I try to stick to this as much as possible but since become re-obsessed with General Hospital, that may be hard.
How do you ensure that you get enough sleep?